Disclaimer: DFWHealthLINE.org is not responsible for the content or accuracy of the postings and does not conduct any inquiries or monitor the listings.
The Health Sciences Librarian position supports the learning goals of our health science students and faculty with an emphasizes on teaching in an online environment. UTA’s College of Nursing and Health Innovation boasts a strong online program, with the majority of students in the program taking classes online.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Creates tutorials and other digital learning objects for health sciences and other subject areas. Develops curriculum that incorporates creation and experiential learning. Provides research consultations and scholarly assistance. Promotes Libraries’ services and resources in collaboration with the Libraries’ Marketing Department. Assesses collection development needs of assigned discipline areas. Collaborates with other Health Sciences Librarians and with virtual reference research coaches. Other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited program or a related graduate degree. Computer literate and technologically adept. Proficiency in MS Office Suite, specifically Outlook, Word, and Excel. Proficiency in Windows Operating System and file management or the equivalent experience.
Knowledge of information literacy theory and practice, various teaching methodologies, and learning styles. Two (2) years of advanced experience developing web-based content and learning environments. Degree in Education, Instructional Technology, or related field. Experience with tutorial software (Adobe Captivate, TechSmith Camtasia, etc.). Experience with formative and summative assessment of library instruction and services. Experience with both qualitative and quantitative research methods in health sciences.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
UTA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation. A criminal background check will be conducted on finalists. The UTA is a tobacco free campus.
I’ve been given permission to find and hire a part-time temporary health sciences librarian to keep the home fires burning while I’m out. The exact hours, duties and salary will depend on the candidate’s availability, background and experience.
Likely duties include: answering reference questions for nursing faculty and students; running literature searches for nursing faculty; assisting new and returning graduate and undergraduate nursing students with literature searches: possibly some ILL, and overseeing print textbook Reserve. There is also the possibility of a special project.
The Nursing LRC will be closed from December 14th, 2018 through January 4th, 2019, so no coverage will be needed over the holidays.
I realize that this is not well defined but those are the general parameters. If you, or someone you know, might be interested, please reply to me, also copying email@example.com , the Nursing LRC’s public email box.
Susan Gerding Bader, MLS, AHIP-D
Director, Learning Resource Center
Baylor University Louise Herrington School of Nursing
333 N. Washington
Dallas, TX 75246-1754
ORCID iD 0000-0002-2445-0415
JOB OBJECTIVES: Responsible for administrating and implementing the interlibrary borrowing and lending program for Parker University. Includes article retrieval, bibliographic instruction, and instructional workshops to Library users.
HOURS: Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED FROM: Director of Library Services
SUPERVISION GIVEN TO WHOM: Student Workers
Bachelor’s or associate degree with formal training in library studies; three years’ experience preferred.
Good communication skills; good hearing and vision; dexterity; ability to reach six- (6) ft. will reach book on shelves; ambulatory; ability to lift at least twelve (12) lbs.
Ability to do detailed work accurately, to work effectively as part of a team, and to respond flexibly and creatively to a changing environment. Knowledge of PCs and Windows and ability to work in a networked environment required. Experience using an integrated library automation system preferred. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Familiar with OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) and WorldCat, to locate and place requests.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Gibson D. Lewis Health Science Library at the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth is seeking a Research and Education Librarian to join our team!
Applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter with their online application. December 2018 graduates welcome to apply.
The Gibson D. Lewis Health Science Library supports the educational, patient care, research, and community service missions of the University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC) by meeting the information needs of faculty, students, staff, and the local health sciences community.
Essential Function(s) of this position:
The Gibson D. Lewis Health Science Library Department at the University of North Texas Health Science Center is seeking to hire a Librarian to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Participation in the reference, liaison, instruction, and collection development functions of Lewis Library including promotion of library services, programs and resources to academic departments.
* Works as part of the Research & User Experience Department to support the UNTHSC campus community by providing in house, specialized reference service.
* Provides extensive support for research to the scholarly community that includes conducting extensive mediated literature searches and provides other research services for all UNTHSC patrons.
* Partners with faculty to further embed library instruction into the curriculum.
*Provides individual and group instruction to users.
* Position includes assisting patrons during regularly scheduled Service Desk hours.
* Serves as a member of various library committees as assigned and may participate in providing backup support for clinical rounding services.
* Participates in the ongoing service activities of Lewis Library.
* Interprets library policies and procedures to facilitate user service.
* Assists with identifying and developing assessment tools for measuring the quality of library services.
* Represents the library at local, regional, and national meetings.
* Maintains awareness of changes within the field of health science librarianship, scientific research and general trends in academic health science libraries.
The University of North Texas Health Science Center enjoys a smoke-free campus and is an EEO/Affirmative Action Institution.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program.
* Two years’ experience in a reference or research related position (Academic health science/medical library experience not required, but also preferred).
* Expert literature searching skills.
* Background in customer or public service.
* Experience serving as a departmental liaison.
* Experience building online tutorials and curriculum.
Please submit application materials by visiting:
For more information, please contact:
Michele L. Whitehead, MLS, MA
Department Head, Research and User Experience
Gibson D. Lewis Health Science Library
UNT Health Science Center