9700 Wade Blvd, Preston Ridge Campus
Frisco, Texas, 75035
We are searching for an experienced Reference Librarian
Provide library reference services and instruction to Collin College students, faculty, staff and the general public. Explain and assist students, faculty and staff in the use of the library databases, streaming audio and video, library catalog, electronic books and other features located on the library homepage. Develop, evaluate and maintain the library collection and serve as library liaison in assigned discipline department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Explain and assist in the use of reference sources, books, periodical indexes, Internet and online databases to locate information. Demonstrate the procedures for searching library catalog. Assist students, faculty and staff in finding scholarly sources for research.
- Schedule and provide library instruction and orientation through class presentations, workshops and web-based instruction.
- Serve as liaison between the library and teaching faculty on matters of curriculum support through collection development and bibliographic instruction. Assist teaching faculty in the design of library assignments.
- Select and develop collection of reference and circulating materials, including books, periodicals, DVDs, software, CDs, eBooks and other electronic materials in support of curriculum. Develop online library collections.
- Assemble and arrange displays of books and other library materials.
- Assist in the development of operations guidelines and policies and procedures for library services.
- Supervise functional areas of assignment, as needed. Supervise operations and personnel when the Library director is unavailable.
- Develop and deliver a range of traditional and innovative library services. Develop web-based resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
- Required Qualifications:
- Master's degree in library science, or library and information science from a regionally accredited American Library Association institution.
- Three (3) years of reference experience post-degree in an academic, public or special library.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of reference in emerging technologies
- Knowledge of trends in library services
- Knowledge of online databases and integrated library systems
- Knowledge of liaison faculty's subject area
- Knowledge of library collection
- Knowledge of College policies and procedures
- Knowledge of ALA standards for reference services
- Computer and applicable software skills
- Customer service skills
- Instructional skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Troubleshooting skills
- Problem solving skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to integrate technology into instruction
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students and faculty
- Ability to develop lists of library materials
- Ability to conduct reference interviews
- Ability to evaluate new library database products
- Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly having to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for the Sedentary Work category and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated Light Work. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, plus stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Full-time Staff
Compensation Type: Annual
Compensation Range: $52,088.00 - 59,901.00
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or email email@example.com.
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.